Thursday, February 10, 2011

Manna and Toothaches

I have always been fascinated by the old testament stories that tell about how God gave the Israelites manna. To me, manna is mysterious, and as such, it arouses my curiosity. I've often wondered what it was like, how it was cooked, how many ways it could be eaten, what sorts of flavors complimented it, etc. But even more mysterious than its physical or sensual particulars is the fact that such a beautiful provision from God could become something that the people saw as a plague.

The story of the great exodus out of Egypt is full of miracles and people with great faith as well as those who lacked it. In many ways, the story of the Israelites' freedom from bondage in Egypt parallels our own stories.

At some point, everyone realizes that they live in a state of bondage to something--it could be financial difficulties, physical limitations, loneliness, abusive family members, sex, money, whatever gives a high... Some people never manage to break free from these things, but many who give them over to God discover that He is not only capable, but eager to provide an escape and a new home.

In order to take the Israelites to Canaan, the promised land, God had to lead them to the desert. It was there that God hoped they would learn to rely on Him for their most basic needs including food and water. But the ever-human Israelites panicked when food provisions became low and they vented their fears about having enough to eat to Moses. The part of this that seems so ridiculous is the fact that God had delivered them from countless crisis and they still freaked out and went to Moses for help. Never-mind that God had sent plagues on the Egyptians to help induce them to release the Israelites, or that God had made a way through the Red Sea and killed off some of Pharaoh's army in the process, or that God's presence was made visible to the Israelites in the form of a pillar that looked like a cloud during the day but glowed like fire at night. After all God had done, how could they be so immature? How could they forget how God's mighty hand had stretched out to them in favor?

Moses, who often found himself to be the mediator between the people and God, talked to God about the problem, and God decided to "rain down bread from heaven" (Exodus 16:4 NIV). The miraculous food appeared with the dew on the ground every morning except for the Sabbath. God gave the people exactly as much as they needed.

Over time, this miracle became stale to the people, and they craved meat. They started complaining and saying that it would've been better that they had stayed slaves in Egypt because at least they had been able to eat meat there. Such talk spread, and before long, Moses was dealing with a nation of disgruntled people again. Of course, God felt insulted too...how could these people have such short and selective memories? How was it possible for them to think that it would be BETTER to be slaves again just to have more food variety? Seriously???

But God, knowing that often people learn best when they get a taste of their own medicine told the Israelites this: "The LORD heard you when you wailed, “If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!” Now the LORD will give you meat, and you will eat it. You will not eat it for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, but for a whole month—until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it—because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, “Why did we ever leave Egypt?”" (Numbers 11:18-20 NIV).

God sent the Israelites droves of quail. The Israelites went crazy. They slaughtered the birds in excess and gorged themselves on the meat. God rewarded their gluttony with a sickness that was caused by over-consumption of the meat--some people died.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if God had given up on the Israelites altogether. But God is gracious, and when they repented, God returned to them the blessing of manna.

It's so easy to look at stories like these and cluck our disapproval at such silly and faithless behavior. But, in reality, we are no better. I have been so convicted of this lately because God has done miracles in my life over the past three weeks, but I've ignored them or complained about them because the results weren't what I'd wanted or because I was too focused on my troubles to properly thank God for what He had taken care of.

A couple of weeks ago, my two remaining wisdom teeth began to bother me. My gums the back of my mouth got so swollen that my teeth were digging into them uncomfortably. I was so worried that I would have to get my teeth pulled, and I didn't know where in the world I would get the money for such a procedure. I tried to maintain a proper focus, and reminded myself that God is in control, and He knows what I need. So I prayed specifically for healing. And then promptly began searching for clinics that pull teeth for people who are homeless or have low incomes. I found one and went in really early in the morning with the hopes that I'd be able to get my teeth pulled and still make it to class. Well, I waited at the clinic for 3 hours before finding out that walk-in patients could spend a good half of the day there before ever getting to see a dentist, and since I couldn't miss classes, I had to cancel with the clinic and rush to school. The whole way there, I told God about my distress and prayed for healing.

In-between classes at Chatt State, I dropped by the financial aid office to see when I would be getting my next check from the loan I had taken out, only to learn that the Government had revoked the loan, and for the next week, I spent the majority of my efforts trying to find a way to stay in school, begging God for a financial miracle that would allow me to finish out the semester and cover the costs of rent. I was in and out of the financial aid office daily for about three days, before I realized that there was nothing that could be done. I even tried to get a back up loan through a bank, but couldn't because my monthly income is too low. I was frustrated and angry, and in the midst of this, the fact that my wisdom teeth no longer bothered me and that my gums were no longer swollen or painful, took a big back seat to my new crisis.

Later on, I felt guilty for not praising God in the midst of the storm, especially when I had such a powerful reason to do so!

No miracle happened when it came down to loans, and I was forced to drop out of school. However, God did grant me some different kinds of miracles--ones that I didn't quite appreciate in the beginning. God made a way for me to be able to cover January's rent, He made it so that my managers at both jobs were willing to give me extra hours at work, and therefore, has made it possible for me to continue to cover the cost of rent and be able to make loan payments.

But because I wasn't in school, because God didn't answer my demands exactly as I had wanted, I didn't see these miracles--not until God smacked me upside the head with a few observations from my pastor that caused me to see everything in a different light.

I am so blessed to have a God who knows the beginning from the end and who provides a way even when I forget to thank Him. God gave me manna, and I wanted meat. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm no better than my ancestors. But I'm encouraged to know that God still chose those whiny, ungrateful people to give birth to Jesus who made a way for unworthy people like me.

And Heck Yeah! My teeth/gums are healed, I am able to work enough to pay for my financial requirements, and I even have enough time left over to sleep, work-out, and get involved in some community service projects! I'm so grateful that God is obligated to stick to His promises. He said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5 NIV). As I continue to seek growth in my faith, I cling to this promise with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment